UA Local 434 Training Newsletter
Click Here to download/print the letter.
UA Local 434 Training
Fall 2018 Newsletter
Dear Members of Local 434,
Enclosed is the new training schedule for the Fall Semester of 2018. Log on to our website at www.ualocal434.org to view the schedule and sign up for classes. If you are unable to log in please contact us. We have a Facebook page, so if you have one, please "LIKE" our Facebook page - UA LOCAL 434 TRAINING. We will have class updates and other info posted often. Go to https://uanet.org for information on your certifications and online UA course offerings such as an AWS-CWI Prep Course, Auto CAD, Labor History and service related courses (Electrical Controls/Refrigeration Controls/HVACR Star Exam) among others.
Please see below for some other highlights this semester:
Course Sign Up
- YOU MUST SIGN UP TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE START OF CLASS (We need to have time to have materials available for you at the start of class.) Sign up at www.ualocal434.org.
- Classes will be cancelled one week prior to the start of class if not enough members are signed up.
- Expect all classes to utilize Blackboard in some way.
- Pre-requisite - All apprentices must complete Local 434 Oxy-Fuel Safety Practices. All members are encouraged to take this class.
- You will be keeping track of your own welding progression in the manual you receive at your 1st welding class.
- You will not be placed on a roster until you have completed the Local 434 Oxy-Fuel Safety Class and sent in your deposit check. You must complete this class at least one week prior to the welding class start date.
- Make check payable to: UA Local 434 Training and mail to the Eau Claire Training Center.
- If you need to drop a welding class that you have signed up for, you must go to the website to cancel your registration at least one week in advance in order to get your deposit check back. If you don’t, your deposit check will be cashed.
- In order to take a UA Weld Test, an ATR will need to approve you.
NITC Medical Gas Re-Certification 4 Hour Class
- You will not be allowed to take your re-certification test without taking this class.
- Effective July 1, 2018 National ITC is requiring a 4 hour class prior to taking your NFPA 99C Medical Gas Recertification Exam.
- We encourage you to take the class when it is offered, even if your certification doesn’t expire for a while. You can take a refresher, if needed, prior to your exam.
UA Industrial Rigging Certification
- If you are planning on taking the Industrial Rigging Certification class this, please remember you need the following pre-requisites: Crane Signaling Certification and Rigging & Knot Tying Class/opt-out exam.
Coyne First Aid - Re-Certification
- In order to re-certify please register online, and we will contact you to set up a time to meet with a First Aid/CPR Instructor.
NCCCO Crane Signaling Certification and Re-Certification
- You must sign up 4 weeks in advance. Tests need to be applied for from NCCCO.
- If your certification will be expiring in the next year, you will need to retake the practical exam to re-new your certification.
- If you expire in the spring of 2019 you can take the class/test now, and your certification month and day won’t change. (Only the year will be updated.)
- Many classes run on the same nights, before you enroll please check the dates of classes to be sure they don’t run on the same nights.
Training Center Use
- All members (including instructors) using shop must call me when arriving at and leaving the shop.
- Also call a couple days prior to using the shop to ensure that you have the correct code.
- You must sign in; please list any broken tools or untidiness that you find and clean the shop.
- Anyone not following procedures will lose privileges to use the training center.
Instructors Needed (we would like 2 instructors for each class in each area, so that substitute teachers are available.)
- HVAC Instructors needed in All Locations
- First Aid/CPR Instructor needed in Mosinee
- Rigging Instructor needed in La Crosse
- Please contact me if you are able to help with any classes in any location
Apprentice Wage Advancements
- Make sure that Heather has a copy of your current wage advancement, so that our data base is accurate, and if you are sent to a new employer then the correct rate is given. Also, make sure your current employer has your correct rate.
UA Local 434 Training Coordinator
715 692-4341 ext. 1010